Mountain Bike Azusa Canyon
Park at Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area in Irwindale. The entrance is off of Arrow Highway, a little bit west of Irwindale Avenue.
- Find the bikepath and follow it north until it ends at Highway 39 / Azusa Canyon
- Proceed north on Highway 39 to the junction with East Fork Road
- Stay left on Highway 39
- Continue a little bit further and start looking for gated West Fork Road on the left hand side
- Lift your bike over the gate
- Follow West Fork Road (closed to traffic) for approximately eight miles to Cogswell Dam
- This is a pleasant out and back ride along the river in a shaded canyon
- It is pretty flat until the last 1/2 mile where the road climbs steeply to the top of the dam
- There are a couple of very short climbs and then the road just drops
Total distance is somewhere around 63 to 65 miles, with about 4,000 feet of climbing.
This is a very enjoyable ride without a whole lot of automobile traffic; however, if you start late in the morning on a weekend, you will encounter quite a bit of traffic on the initial climb up Highway 39.
There are a couple of places along East Fork Road where you can refill your water bottles.